Thursday, March 01, 2007

Dawn of a new era

Harken, ye to the dawn of a new era! Yea, let it be known that after many years of mucking around with pencils, coloured pencils, inks and a shonky scanner, I have finally done it. I have taken my first step into colouring.

First of all, the picture may be a little familiar to you all. It is the 'geisha' girl drawn AGES ago. There is a reason why I picked this picture: it was the simplest to colour.

Seriously... I was following the tutorials kindly provided by the artist of the webcomic Blue Zombie (http://entity.comicgen.com/tutorials.html), which, by the way is a good read itself. Yes, so I was following the steps up to the point where I had to create lassos around the regions I wanted coloured. Oh-kaaayyyy... I tried it on a more complex picture and got REALLY frustrated. Then I found this 'Magic Wand' thingy that could select some regions to be coloured. At first I thought that was pretty neat but rapidly realised that it wasn't all that smart and often selected the WRONG region! Here I thought I could bypass all the tedious lassoing around but in the end I had to concede that it was FAR preferable to do that then to tinker with that infernal wand!

So that took hours of frustration. I had to look for a simpler pic and you can't get simpler to colour than this pic. Next, I fumbled my way around the infernal lasso commands and all that layer stuff... WOW! That took at least an hour... but in the end we bear witness to the FIRST ever COLOURED picture on this site.

There you have it. The one and only. And it will stay that way if I have any say in this.

I'm off to sleep. That took WAY too long.

No comments: