Sunday, July 15, 2007

Another era approaches...




Well here we are again. Let's see... the first era was actually scanning and then uploadin my sketches onto a blog of sorts. The second was to actually get a little more sense into my scanner settings, i.e. not all just black and white. I guess you could lump in some inking and sketching with coloured pencil prior to inking into that era. The third and most recent one was adding colours into my sketches.

Now... we come to the latest era, that which is now possible thanks to the arrival of several gifts from Japan courtesy of my kind sister, mother and father. Behold, the might of the WACOM Graphics Tablet! (Dun Dah Dun Dah DUN!) Yes, my little poppets, this is probably the firmest step into professionalism I've ever taken. You've heard me complain about not having a tablet for years and years and years (even though I've never really seen one, less use one) and how it's quite a bother without one. Well, now I do and I have to admit it's a brilliant piece of technology and it'll take some getting used to. As you can see, I'm still very very rough at it. At this point of time, if the work is crap I can no longer blame the lack of tools because frankly, I've got everything a pro-artist has (more or less). I just need to get good with them, or to at least figure out how to use them properly. Well... maybe I can still complain about my computer monitor size.

There's a whole torrent of things to learn. Different brush strokes, getting used to the tablet layout and everything else in between. I still can't get my head over how brilliant the gadget is and how it must have taken years to even get to that stage.

So we have some very rough pics, some drawn immediately after I installed the machinery so really rough as guts. So far, I can still say that drawing on paper and scanning produces much cleared and more defined lines so if I want to do a really nice clean piece, I'll stick to pencil and inking. However, if I want to do a rough sketch followed by colouring over that... I'd use the tablet. Colouring will be done entirely on this though... it's SOOOOOOO easy. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Along with the tablet I've gotten Bleach DS 2nd, some figurines of Kurosaki Ichigo (I'd much prefer Kuchiki Rukia... but Bankai Ichigo is still nice), some utensils and I've still got other things coming along. Gonna have to visit the post office quite frequently.

Anyway, a big thank you to the parties involved in getting me the tablet. I hope my skills can improve now that it's not as constrained as before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow.... u got a tablet... from japan....

oh yeah
and thanks for calling me the other day.