Saturday, September 29, 2007

New Art Style


Hello, poppets! How have you been?

Ah, Manifest? It was awesome as always. Definitely like going with friends this time round. You know, on the walk back from Melbourne Uni I like to reflect on Manifests past, and compare what I was then with what I was now... nostalgic.

Anyway, didn't enter the art competitions seeing as there wasn't one (except Iron Artist, which I can't yet). However, some people were very impressed with some of my drawings (but on Sunday the whole room was filled with professional artists! I was totally overwhelmed by the difference in our levels). What I did do was participate in the huge Suzumiya Haruhi Hare-Hare Yukai dance-off (I'm hidden somewhere in the back). No, I didn't do the main competition, but Melbourne's trying to kick Sydney's ass at the size thing. Saw some really funny anime like Lucky Star, Seto no Hanayome and Sumomomo mo momo. Didn't get to see that many good action ones though. Got addicted to wasabi peas and had some nice fish in the nearby restaurants.

Going back to work afterwards was a terrible pain. And then sis came down the next weekend so that kept me totally deadlocked. We had a good time, though (except for that horrible movie Superbad). Ate at many a good restaurant and discovered some great dishes. Fun, but in the end kept me pretty busy (work helped wear me out too).

Now things are slowly settling down and I've taken up the table to try learning that thing I meant to do, which is colouring. I picked it up from http://www.mangarevolution.com/tutorials.php which was pretty helpful. However, my skills are still horrible and I need to either be patient or do things better. Ugh. So the 2nd pic was my first try at the new airbrush and multi-layered shadow that they recommended. The first one was something I tried to do using inks first (they generally recommend colouring before outlining). Both are pretty dang sorry excuses. Still, that's another card done for my pal.

I've got some ideas about drawing my Manifest experiences as a comic but I've been too busy to do that. Also, I've got a presentation coming up for my work so I reckon I could spice that up with some pictures. Heh heh...

No comments: