Sunday, September 02, 2007

Sick Week




Oh, man... what a week. That flu or cold or whatever sure knows how to get back and forth.

Let's just say it was tremendously busy and leave it at that. A huge pressure to finish things and not enough time to do it. Add to it general misery from getting sick again and that's roughly it. Rubbing your eyes when someone else has touched your stuff = stupidity.

So anyway... I haven't been doing much drawing for the past few weeks. Well, the first two I managed to squeeze out last week, but just barely. There was a youtube clip showing the process used to create a Looking For Group webcomic (http://www.lfgcomic.com/) that I thought I would imitate (in Pic 1) but it turns out I am nowhere near the level of proficiency. Halfway through I realised what I was doing was completely wrong and it got really frustrating so I just fudged it.

Second one was partially something drawn to accentuate action and to use the cool little 'smudge' tool you get on photoshop. Does a very nice impact. I really wanted to increase the violence in the picture but lacked skills. Also should have used speed lines on the leg.

Anyway I'm experiencing a complete lack of skills at the moment. I can't seem to draw anything right and I'm feeling a bit frustrated as Manifest is less than 2 weeks away. I certainly can't compete on a decent level if I'm only at this level, so I tried to do some sketches and they just turned out all wrong.

My poker buddy (http://www.pokerpostings.blogspot.com/) came along and requested I do a set of drawings that could be set on card faces. Now, I'd seen that done on Pani Poni Dash (check the 2nd ending sequence) and was thoroughly impressed, especially the artwork done on the Tarot cards. I really tried to imitate it and get something nice but as you can see... I'm really shit at the moment. Still, nothing wrong with me re-doing the above cards when I get better.

Alright, I've got chores to do and then I'll keep practicing. I bet the competition will be stiffer this year, so I can't let up.

No comments: