Saturday, September 30, 2006

Post Manifest Depression






Heya folks!

Well Manifest (the big one) has come and gone again for another year. Man was it chaotic, but as last year... it's been awesome. So good in fact, that I'm suffering from withdrawal symptoms. To tell the truth I had to cut into some of the time seeing as my dear sister came to visit as well.

Ah it was a packed weekend. So many things to do and boy did I do as much as I could. Watched oodles of screenings and thus running from theatre to theatre. Ogled the short skirts and low necklines. Chatted with some really talented artists (I'll give a shout out in my next post), watched several competitions (Iron Artist! Whoo!) and just bummed around the Oztaku room sketching. Oh... eating too! To cap it off, I entered the 'On-the-day' sketching competition organised by Oztaku again and won! (Thanks Oztaku!) Okay... to be honest I think there were less than 5 entries.

Overall impression? C'mon! It's like the only anime festival I go to! It's gotta be great. Even waiting in line for over an hour to get my ticket was fun. Even standing in cramped conditions was fun. I just can't get enough, and if I had enough cash I'd tour the convention circuit around Australia.

Anyway brief descriptions of the piccies. First and third pics are about this little girl I came up with which is partly inspired by something I saw in an Oztake issue... I think. The hammer is, at least. 3rd pic is a bit screwed up as I thought I'd do an action angle... and totally ruined it. Will need work as well, as both are rather messy.

2nd pic is what I drew while I was attending a free class during Manifest. They taught people how to draw faces and I think I managed to capture some of it. Definitely learned a lot, so I'm gonna try to incorporate more of that into my sketches from now on.

So you know I'm currently obsessed with Hellboy. However, I just can't seem to draw that hulking figure. I was thinking of replacing him with a slightly more lithe elf-creature. Hmmm.... still thinking. It's a BIT out of place. Anyway, I did put a bit of effort into pic 4, except for the guys in the back. I just drew those as an afterthought.

Finally, pic 5 was a suggestion by a pal. Supposedly this chainsaw weilding guy is supposed to mete bloody justice to all hypocrites and supreme idiots. Couldn't think of anyone to kill but thought I'd do some sinister shading... you'll probably note that I haven't really tried that form before (just couldn't get it), but I rather like the result today. Hmmm... let's see what comes out of this.

Okay that's it blog-keteers. For those on holidays, happy holidays. For those who aren't too bad. I'll be off now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the sketches especially the details on the 4th pic. Liked the hand bandage on the 5th pic, it kinda stood out but the shading isn't dark enough. Manifest is good no ? Guess who haven't been to one yet? The pleasures of it still unknown to me.

Anonymous said...

hallooooooooooo........ why no updates? it's been 17 days 23 hours and 5 minutes.

Baron Crovax said...

One day I shall hire you to be my editor... or give you a whip of some sort. Mmmmm.... whip...

Er, I mean... it's coming out!